Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Geronimo Stilton: The Volcano Of Fire




Geronimo Stilton is a mouse that works as an editor at a local paper. He goes to work one morning and discovers a mysterious package on his desk. It contains a map where he is to go and figure out what this message is all about. While climbing the mountain to the location on the map, he falls and finds himself in the Kingdom of Fantasy once again. The Elves tell him the Volcano of Fire has been reawakened, and the Princess of Fairies has been kidnapped. They need Geronimo's help to find the Princess and stop the volcano from erupting. Geronimo agrees to face many dangers and adventures to help with the Elves' quest.

This was the fifth book in the series, and the only one I have read so far. I was able to follow the story easily. At 320 pages it might seem like a long book for young readers, but it is really easy to read and goes faster than you would guess. There are a lot of illustrations and maps, and the type is large enough that there is not too much on a page. I think a young audience would really enjoy this book.

This was the second book that the Bookworms Book Club read together. Paige chose this book. It was a fun adventure book that worked well for boys and girls. Here are the Bookworms' thoughts on the book:

Q&A With The Bookworms Book Club

How Many stars out of 5 would you give this books?
Paige 5 stars
Alejandro 5 stars. At first I thought 4 1/2, but as I thought about it I think it gets 5.

What was your favorite part?
Alejandro The Diggerts were my favorite because it reminded me of what I like to do, which is looking for rocks and minerals.
Paige I had two favorites. 1. The proposal scene and the pretty picture that went with it. 2. The Pirate Captain's button that changed the room making chairs pop up.

Did you notice any parts of the story that reminded you of other books or movies?
Paige The Pirates were like the Pirates on Stardust. Also climbing up the hair was like Rapunzel.
Alejandro Diggerts reminded me of the Dwarves on Snow White. Also the trash scene where the walls closed in were like the Labyrinth and Star Wars.

What did you think about a story using parts from another book or movie?
Paige I thought it was cool that they did that.
Alejandro I like it when they do that.

Did you like the illustrations and how many there were?
Both Yeah, it was just the right amount of pictures.
Alejandro I liked looking at the pictures, it was like having a movie in your head about the book.
Paige They were colorful. I like seeing what the characters and land looks like. It is ok to imagine it too, but I like to see the pictures and what it is suppose to look like.

This was #5 in the series, were you able to understand what was happening?
Alejandro Yes, there was enough about the other stories to understand what was going on, like why the Prince was eating hay.
Paige I had read some of the other books before, so I knew what was going on.

When Geronimo goes to the Library, all the books want to be read. They shout why he should choose them. How would you choose what book to read?
Alejandro I would pick the book with the most information about what I wanted to know.
Paige I would pick the book with lots of pictures and definitions about what I am looking for.

Geronimo has an amulet to make 7 wishes, did he make good choices? What would you wish for?
Paige He wasted some of his wishes, at the dinner when he accidently wished for different food. I would wish to be the next Great Baker.
Alejandro I would wish for a fifties car, a bigger backyard, and a helicopter.

There are some codes in the book and a key to translate them. Did you translate any of the codes?
Alejandro  No. I wanted to finish the book first, and forgot to go back and do it.
Paige Yes I did translate all of them. It was fun to do.

The Diggerts give Diggert names to Geronimo and his friends, what Diggert names would you give each other?
Alejandro I would name Paige Diamond.
Paige I will name Alejandro Stonehead
Both We will name Whitney Ruby.

There is a Sludge Monster that turns into whatever you are afraid of. What would it turn into for you? How would you stop it?
Alejandro I liked when it turned into mud. For me it would turn into Slenderman or something horror related. I don't like horror movies and stories. To stop it I would not think about it anymore.
Paige Or a clown?
Alejandro NOOOOO!
Paige I liked that it had red firey eyes and turned into a cat for Geronimo. For me it would be the bully Samantha at school. I would fight it with a bow and arrow or a knife to stop it.

Is there anything else you would like to say about the book?
Alejandro I thought it was very interesting.
Paige I didn't like the cover. The volcano looks like a log with fire at the end.
Whitney How would you change that?
Alejandro Make it look like a volcano.
Paige I would have Geronimo with the Diggerts rescuing Sprout in a cage in front of the volcano.

Would you tell your friends about this book?
Alejandro Yes!
Paige I would tell them to read it and the other books too.

Thank you Paige and Alejandro for reading and reviewing this book with me. I look forward to our next book together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paige and Alejandro. Geronimo Stilton sounds like a fun series with a lot of cool adventures. If I met a Sludge Monster, I bet it would turn into a giant aggressive spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read! When they asked me what the Sludge Monster would turn into for me, I originally said moving boxes because I was in the middle of moving. They recommended I get inside one and ship myself to them to get over the fear. I than talked about how I used to not like bugs, but after handling a lot of insects and taking care of them at an Insectarium, I was able to overcome my fears. I was able to see how beautiful and awesome insects can be. We talked about if we learn about our fears it can help us to stop being afraid.

      Delete