Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Hunger Games Movie Version



the hunger games great poster


Every year Panem holds the Hunger Games to remind citizens who is in power, and the consequences of rebellion. Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her sister Prim's place in the annual Hunger Games. She travels from her district to the Capitol where the Games take place. She must battle twenty-four other children for survival in an event that is entertainment for those in charge, and a grim reminder for those who are not.

I enjoyed this adaptation. I think they did an excellent job keeping with the themes of the book, and the feeling you get while reading it. I think one of the things I enjoyed most was the subtlety that was used in the film to convey the tension, issues, relationships, and horror of the story. Sometimes in movies the thought seems to be that in your face violence is all that is needed. I appreciate how subtle some of the actions are that let the viewer know the true horror of the events and the feelings of the characters.

I love how visually stimulating it was when they go to the capitol. The costumes everyone wears and the attitudes of the people there were expertly portrayed. The contrast between the Capitol to the 12 districts was wonderfully conveyed through the clothing. This is a classic theme in dystopian stories, but I think Collins wrote a unique version and it was incredibly shown in the film.

I should admit that I saw this movie before I read the books. I had been told for a while that I would really like this series, but had not got around to reading it. My sister said we should not wait for me to read it, so we went to see it in the theater, and I was hooked. I immediately went out and read the books. I never felt lost while watching the movie, which can happen sometimes if all the details of the book are not conveyed on screen. Although I highly recommend reading the books, you can see the film without reading them and enjoy it. Here is my review of The Hunger Games book.

I would recommend seeing The Hunger Games movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment